Saturday, December 3, 2011

The Horse Magazine

Every month I get an e-zine from The Horse.com. Along with the generic e-zine, there are many variations that deal with feeding, specialized health, lameness, etc. I think there's at least 5 variations.

Last week, the December edition of the e-zine showed up in my e-mail, and I carefully scanned the articles to see what I wanted to read. There was an article about how horses handle fear. What I had hoped would be in interesting neurological/physical read, turned into a research essay from Germany about how horses behave when a fear stimulus is created and a human is involved. Specifically, 1) if a human was not there; 2) if a human was there; 3) if the human was leading the horse or on the ground; 4) if the human was on the back of the horse; and (ta-ta-ta-DA!) 5) the expertise of the human. The Result: (trumpets and drum roll please) the expertise of the human made the most difference in how the horse behaved to the fearful stimulus.

REALLY?!

Somebody needed a GRANT and published a Research Paper on this???!!!
I think most of US could figure that out in less than a week.

Anyway, I was so disappointed in this article that I really questioned whether a The Horse was really worth keeping around. I mean, I just felt like this was so elemental that it just was not up to the standards that I had seen glimpses of in other articles.
The biggest problem I have with the e-zine is that there are some articles I start reading on the content page, then when I hit the "read more" tab, I get a log-in box. I find that irritating, since I've started reading, I'm usually in the middle of the sentence (cuz that's always where they put the "read more" tab) and then I find the pop-up box in the middle of my screen.

While I was chewing on this "I can't believe they actually printed that garbage," and debating cancelling the e-zine, I went to my local tack shop to use a gift certificate. I had some spare bucks to play with, and....lo-and-behold! a hard copy of The Horse was in the magazine rack.

What I found out was that the e-zine and the hard copy do NOT mirror each other.
I checked both the November issue and the December issue, and did not find any reference to the above research paper (well, at least directly).
But I bought the December issue, with it's emphasis on Chronic Pain.

The ads in hard copy of The Horse is definitely geared toward veterinarians....there are ads for cutting edge drugs and equipment that your average, everyday horseperson is NOT going to be able to afford. But the articles are actually written with the average, everyday horseperson in mind. They are clear, concise and do not use the humongous terms medical people (both human and animal) tend to chatter to each other.

What I CAN say is: If you can find a copy of the December 2011 The Horse Magazine---GET IT! Very interesting if you really want to get a handle on your horse's pain!

While all the pain articles were very good (I know I gleaned at least ONE new thing from each of them), the best one, by far, was "Detecting Discomfort" by Sue McDonnell, PhD, Cert. AAB (Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist). She actually has a LIST of things to watch for that suggest your horse may have pain. And she explains why it's so difficult for us humans to spot. In other words, it's HORSE LISTENING to a "T", and she explains it well. She also suggests using a video camera to watch how the horse behaves when there is no human interaction. If you go back to my May 2009 blog (explaining why I hadn't been blogging) you can see WHY I can only agree with her. Fire behaved one way with us in the barn, and was completely different (almost a "dummy foal") when we weren't. And she almost died because of it.

So, while I was planning on deriding The Horse.com and it's hard copy The Horse; I found that I ended up with access to some very interesting, and very useful information. And I suggest you check it out, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment