Sunday, June 7, 2009

My Journey with Horses (short version)

I've been told that my horses are "crazy", "wild", "scary". When I first heard this (a number of years ago), I was really surprised. So I started thinking about it. And, I started comparing my horses with those of other people (especially the people who made the comments!) So I went 'way back.

As a child growing up in Chicago, I did not have a horse. In fact, I did not get a horse until after I graduated from college! My Grandmother lived on a farm, but she did not have horses either. My cousins remember me screaming in terror when we went on a trail ride when I was about 7 and we started trotting.....but then I was the biggest scaredy-cat in the world at the time. That changed the day a group of teenagers rode past Gram's farm and stopped (she had a Gas Station she ran with a general store) for some pop. I was immediately drawn to them. And the first "real" horse contact came when the biggest one put his head down to mine. If you believe in telepathy, he "spoke" to me; but, regardless, it became very clear to me that these big creatures would never hurt me. The girl was nice enough to get me up on him and walk him around, and it was clear to me that I did not need to worry ever again about horses. This experience let me "read" students who were more afraid than they let on, and allowed me to "guide" them more than teach/make them do things.

It proved itself over and over at places I went trail-riding. After a time, the stables I went to gave me a "problem child" horse....with apologies. The group that day needed my nice beginner horse and if I wanted to ride, I would be on this horse. Fortunately, my "usual" horse had taught me quite a bit (well, anything was quite a bit when you start at zero!) So as I started with this horse, I just kind of played around as to how hard to kick (these were stable horses remember and kicking was the norm to get started), how well he turned, and how hard I had to pull to stop (which was not much!). Even then, I was already "listening" although I didn't know it at the time. I had "listened" to my first horse and now was "listening" to him. He was tense (he was pretty much used to being manhandled), but, since I didn't know much, I didn't ask for much. Ultimately I got the feeling that he had been "using" horse......he was used as a ranch horse (and ultimately I found out that was true). Before long, I was able to do sliding stops on him, spin him and go in any direction I wanted. He even "rescued" several run aways (I don't take credit for them.....he put himself in the position to head them off). They sold him during the summer I was off from school; when I came back the next year, they said they had to, since he would not ride with most people. I got on a lot of horses that year and learned a lot more from them. Ultimately, the stables was arsoned by developers buying up all the other land in the area........18 horses, their feed and saddles were in the barn at the time.

Like I said, I didn't get my first horse til after graduating college. But the one thing I learned from each stable/over-used horse I rode is that even though they had the worst "job" a horse can have, and usually had the attitude to match, when you let them be who they are......they can become happy, enjoyable, and dependable friends.

And I think that's why some people think MY horses are "crazy". They are who they are. I ALLOW them their personalities; I don't expect them to be robots and perform perfectly all the time (although there's lots of times I WISH they would). My horses are excited to see me, they seem to LIKE my presence, and when we are getting ready to perform......they get excited about showing off. Oh, I've had my runaways (been put in the hospital by one). But those people who call my horses "crazy" don't see them at home. They know the difference between training, galvanting around for fun and the show ring. You won't see them hyped up at home.....but they know when there's a show and they do seem to want to show off (well, most of them......there are always a few "Eeyore's").

I've had a few horses that were labeled "crazy" before I got them. And we seem to buy a LOT of horses that have major issues......(most of them have gone on to other homes, not as wound up as they were when we got them....I won't sell a horse that has major issues to deal with, because most people don't "listen" or even want to understand!) But I guess I don't see them as "crazy". And the most surprising part is that once they are allowed to be who they are......the change can be dramatic!

No comments:

Post a Comment