Saturday, June 13, 2009

Rusty--my 2nd Equus teacher

If Archimedes was expressive, Rusty was verbose. You always knew what she was thinking....or at least, she always let you know what was on her mind!!

Rusty was a "BLACK TYPE" thoroughbred on both sides. Even though she was an "oooops". Both sire and dam were yearlings, running in the pasture. Rusty's Reward had Rusty's Surprise when she was 2, after being sold as a yearling. So it's not surprising that Rusty did not get very big; in fact she was 15.2hh with shoes on. She had been on the track but had not done a whole lot. I bought her from some people who were trying to ride her Western, and go trail riding.....but it had not worked out well for them.

She was her own critter, who grudgingly allowed humans to do things to and with her. She had little use for people other than "Hey, Stupid Human....throw me some hay/grain." She was a decent enough ride, not exactly willing, but not throwing tantrums every time you asked for something.....except a right lead. She just could not balance herself on the right lead. Even when lunging, she would cross-canter for a full circle before her hind legs "fell" into the right pattern. Even out in the pasture she did it. Although the vet checked her, there did not seem to be a physical reason that she would not "push off" with the left hind first.....she just did not like to do it.

It was Rusty who "told" me about letting a horse be all s/he could be. Obviously not with words, since they don't think in words like we do. But for a number of years she carted me around in hunter classes (which later I came to recognize as something she really, really did NOT like to do) and stymied me in under saddle classes with that right lead. Eventually she got VERY good at striking off on a counter-canter and switch in a few strides.....but if she ever took off with the left hind first, it had more to do with blind luck than any doing on my part (even a blind squirrel finds a nut every so often!). No, Rusty did not rings...........unless the jumps were big and/or intimidating. THEN she was out to get them.

At the time I was working for Chuck Kinney, who now does the jumps for the big shows. Those who know Chuck know he is who he is, and you either accept him or hate him (so it seems). Chuck may not have been high with the people skills, but he knew horses....he had a way with them that was just fascinating to watch. And if ever Chuck had a "soft" look about him, it was when he was riding. It took many years for me to comprehend that he really could talk to those horses, and when he was riding, he was holding conversations with them. I mean REAL conversations. Not via words, but via feel....through his seat, the reins and just seeming to know. He was a tough taskmaster, both as a boss and a teacher. I don't think he ever realized that not everyone found it so easy to "talk" to horses. It was, ultimately, things I learned from Chuck that allowed me to find a way to hold discussions with Rusty.

And she responded in kind. Not just while riding, but all the time. It was then that I learned how, when you allow a horse to do things they liked, they usually excelled. Even so, they often "allowed" you to do things with them they would really prefer not to do.

She became that horse that everyone eventually gets.....the one that teaches you what you need to know.....and the one that will always have a special bond with you. She was the one who ultimately taught me the nuances of Equus.....the differences in the eye, even the amount of sparkle in them; the pose of the individual ears, the pull of the lip from just barely a tight line to the full blown snarl. She taught me what each amount of tenseness meant....and where that tenseness was gave so much information of what was going to happen next. The position of the feet, of the tail, of the neck and of the head.....all of which, with just a little variation meant something different. In order to speak Equus, you had to know ALL the signs and how they all related, and somehow, she taught me how to understand her. She probably laughed at me for my stilted conversation back...when you aren't "built" for Equus, it's not as easy to speak back. But, it can be done. Which I was fortunate to learn as my herd grew from 1 to 4 to 8 to 15. Watching herd dynamics not only helped me understand why certain horses are difficult to train, but also how to use my body to "speak" Equus to the horses on a level they understood. Oh, not just the kick/bite level we humans understand only too well.....but from a subtle position so that no one even knows you are having a "conversation".

No comments:

Post a Comment