Thursday, October 15, 2009

October Sale Time

It's October.......and for draft horses, that means sales.
It's a time that's both exciting and sad.
Exciting because there may be something there you just can't live without.
Sad because you need to send some friends along to find new homes.

It's sad this year. We need to sell some, and 2 of my nicer animals are going to be leaving.

Summer, our dapple gray 3yo, did not grow as big as we had anticipated. Her team mate, 3 yo blue roan Athena, is pushing 18hh. Their Mutt-and-Jeff appearance makes them no longer the nice team they were. It is, of course, still possible that Summer will grow more......but she will be a "late bloomer" and will not match Athena for a few years. That's a few years too many. We did not breed them......I don't like breeding 3yos.....and that will likely have a major effect on how much they bring. Both are extremely well-bred.....but sometimes that means nothing.

Summer takes care of hubby. He is not an aggressive driver and at times loses focus......but she knows just what to do and keeps him safe. She's a super horse for someone who is new to the business or wants a safe horse for their kids. She had held her own in competition, beating older more mature horses, so she's a nice mover. She's also broke to ride (although I haven't ridden her since last year). And she's a good baby sitter. My present foal, Fire, will need to be weaned again. No vices, either. Just a real nice mare that I would keep if I could.

But I am really going to miss Athena. This blue-roan moves like a 3-day and/or dressage horse. She is the "modern" kind, which means she looks more like a warm-blood than a full-blooded Percheron. She also was broke to ride last year (again, I'm not riding them) and the trainer said she actually preferred to be ridden than driven. She also has held her own against more mature horses and placed well in her classes. She's actually jumped over me when I got knocked by another horse right into her path. I just remembered thinking "this is gonna hurt" and then seeing her feet over my head. This horse and I have quite a history together, which makes it especially hard to see her go.

As a baby, she almost didn't make it out. She got her shoulder caught on her mom's pelvis and no matter how hard I pulled, I couldn't make it move. Just when I figured was going to have a dead baby, suddenly, it gave, and she came out. When we lost her mother the next year, I really wanted to keep her forever. Then, while out with mares and foals, another mare decided she didn't like her and attacked her. Again, I thought I would have a dead baby......but with a lot of love and care she pulled through. She has her own personality......I gave her the name Athena for a reason......she thinks she's a goddess! And she has the blue roan dorsal stripe down her back and the dark outline of her eye......which actually makes her look more like Cleopatra! It is very Egyptian-like.

I am not looking forward to losing these two.....because that's what it is.....losing them. But circumstances force the issue. 11 horses and 2 people to care for them.....gets to be a bit much at our age.....especially since 1 (me) does most of the day-to-day stuff. I know they are not getting the attention they deserve, since it is focussed on others who need it more right now.
But still.......next week will be a sad week.

No comments:

Post a Comment